This guide has not been mapped to a Group. Please select a Group for this guide.
Borrow & Renew
Borrow Library Materials
Through the library, Hamline students, faculty and staff have access to materials here, near and far. Hamline alumni can use print materials here at Hamline. See our Alumni & Community Services page for more details.
Here and Near
Use CLICsearch, the library's search engine, to find materials:
- here at Hamline, in electronic or print format
- near at other CLIC libraries
A few basics about using library materials:
- When you request items, they will be held for you at Hamline Library's Central Service Desk. The average time for arrival is 1.2 days, but may take a little longer. You'll get an email when your requested items are available for pickup.
- Most items can be renewed online. See our information on renewing items.
- You can return library materials to any CLIC member library.
- You will be fined if you don't return library materials by their due date. We'll send you a reminder a few days before materials are due. You can avoid fines by renewing your materials online -- see our information on renewing items.
See our Borrowing Policies for more details.
When you need to search beyond Hamline and CLIC libraries, use CLICsearch "Expand My Results" or WorldCat to find items at many libraries around the world (including the University of Minnesota). You will need to request these materials through ILLiad, our Interlibrary Loan service.
Items borrowed from other libraries through Interlibrary Loan are a bit different than material from Hamline or other CLIC libraries. Different rules apply to these items:
- The library lending the items determines how long you can have them (3-4 weeks is typical).
- Interlibrary loan materials cannot be renewed.
- You will be fined if you do not return interlibrary loan materials by their due date.
See our Interlibrary Loan Policies for more details.
Did you know?
are from NEARBY schools that are part of our consortium
. They arrive faster and loan periods are longer. Interlibrary (ILLiad) loans
usually come from FURTHER AWAY, thus they often take longer to arrive and have a more limited loan period.
Renew Library Materials
Items from Hamline and other CLIC libraries
These items can generally be renewed up to 2 times if no one else has requested them. You can avoid fines by renewing your items.
How to renew items:
- Go to CLICsearch
- Click on Sign In twice in the upper right
- Choose the first Sign In option.
- Login with your Hamline computer username and password (Hamline University Authentication)
- Click on your name in the upper right and then My Library Account
- Select Loans and Renew
If you have reached the limit to the total number of days allowed for the item, you will need to return it to the library.
Interlibrary Loan Items
Interlibrary loan items cannot be renewed. Use ILLiad to check for due dates for Interlibrary Loan items since these items don't show up in My Library Account in CLICsearch.
Looking for Course Reserves?