This guide has not been mapped to a Group. Please select a Group for this guide.
About Off-Campus Access
If you are off-campus when you access library resources you will be routed to the Off-Campus Access login page. You will be prompted for your Hamline username and password before you can access library resources.
You can find your Hamline username in Piperline. If you do not remember your Hamline password, you can reset it here.
If you're having trouble accessing library resources from off-campus, see our troubleshooting information below.
Our Off-Campus Access
page looks like this:
Troubleshooting off-campus access problems
See below for the most common problems users experience when trying to access library resources from off-campus.
You get a message saying your username or password was entered incorrectly
If you get an error message saying, Your Username or Password was entered incorrectly, a number of things might be wrong:
- You may have mistyped your username or password. Make sure you are entering your current username and password.
- Your Hamline username is the account you use to access technology resources at Hamline like Blackboard, Learning House, your Google email account, the local network, the wireless network, or any computer on campus (computer labs, classrooms, or private offices). If you do not know your Hamline username, you can find it in Piperline.
- Your Hamline password is the password associated with your Hamline username. If you do not know your Hamline password, you can reset it here.
- Your password may be expired. You can reset your password here.
- You’re trying to login using your Hamline email address instead of your Hamline username. Make sure you’re entering your Hamline username -- do not include @hamline.edu.
- You have a password manager installed and it is interfering with the Off-Campus Access page.
If you use your browser's password manager or an add-on password manager like LastPass or 1Password, make sure your password manager has your up-to-date Hamline password.
- You're trying to login using your library barcode. This login option is no longer available. Please use your Hamline Username and Password.
If you continue to get a message saying your username or password was entered incorrectly, contact the Central Service Desk for assistance. Inform the Service Desk agent you are having trouble with your Hamline username and password.
The Off-Campus Access page doesn’t load or your browser presents an error message
There are a number of things that may prevent our Off-Campus Access page from loading correctly. You can contact our Research Desk for step-by-step help.
- You may need to refresh your browser’s cache. Follow these instructions for your browser.
- Not sure which browser you’re using? Find out here.
- You can learn more about how your browser’s cache works here.
- You may need to clear your browser’s cookies. Instructions are different for each browser:
- You may need to update your browser’s privacy settings. More information is available here.
- You may be using an out-of-date browser. If you haven't updated your browser software in a long time, we recommend downloading and installing the latest version of one of the following browsers. You can safely download and install browsers from the following links. We do not recommend using any other download links.
- You may have a browser add-on or toolbar that is interfering. We recommend disabling or removing add-ons and toolbars that are not critical. Instructions are different for each browser:
- Your location (workplace, coffee shop, bookstore, etc.) may be blocking the ports needed to access library resources from off-campus. This is not often the case but if it is, we recommend working with the local network administrator to resolve the problem. Please ask them to open their firewall for ezproxy.hamline.edu on ports 2048 through 5000.
- Your home network may be blocking the ports needed to access library resources from off-campus. This is not often the case, but if it is, you’ll need to configure your wireless router or modem to allow internet traffic to and from ezproxy.hamline.edu on ports 2048 through 5000. We recommend contacting your internet provider (Comcast, CenturyLink, etc.) if you need assistance.
If you continue to have trouble accessing library resources from off-campus, we recommend using Hamline's virtual desktop (VDI) service. VDI allows you to launch a Microsoft Windows desktop as though you are on Hamline's campus. By doing so, you will have unrestricted access to library resources.
Instructions on setting up and using Hamline's VDI service are available here. Once you've launched the VDI service, you can open the full Windows Desktop or go directly to Chrome and access library resources as you normally would:
Contact the Central Service Desk for assistance using Hamline's VDI service.
You can contact our Research Desk if you need help troubleshooting off-campus access.